Kearsney Festival: Framesby win

Mon, 17 Apr 2017 11:28
Large framesby v eg jansen 800

MATCH REPORT: Framesby won their first match at the festival when they beat Dr EG Jansen 29-21, which also meant that the Boksburg side has gone winless.

The second match of Day Three of the saw two teams, Framesby from Port Elizabeth and Dr EG Jansen from Boksburg, neither of which had yet won a game at the festival, keen for a win. EG Jansen were the favourites and with the wind blowing behind them, the early advantage was with the Boksburg team.

Most of the possession was with the Jansen players and it was prop forward Brandon Becker who rumbled over close to the uprights. A good conversion by flyhalf Dylan Schwartz gave them a seven-point lead.

The longer the half progressed the more confident Framesby became. Midway through the half flank Desmick Kleinbooi made a break passing to centre and captain Julian Kleyn who went over. The successful conversion took the score to 7-each.

Framesby were running the EG Jansen defence from touchline to touchline. It was again Kleinbooi who made a break down the left touchline, and his determined run of 40 metres saw him dive over in the corner. This gave the Eastern Cape team a useful 12-7 lead and the knowledge that they would now have the wind behind them.

The backs were full of running and when centre JP Greyling received the ball he burst through a half gap and, with defenders on his back, managed to dive over. This gave Framesby a 17-7 lead.

Grayson Ditlow, playing on the wing, was quick to pick up a loose ball and get over in the corner. A good conversion by Riaan van Rensburg took the lead to 24-7. Framesby fullback Lindsay Potgieter got on to the scoreboard when he counter-attacked after a tackle and sprinted to score in the corner. Framesby looked like definite winners, leading 29-7.

EG Jansen pulled themselves together and two tries, five minutes apart, put them back into the game. The first was by centre Keenan Oelofse and the second by fullback Franco van Eeden. Both were converted by Schwartz. With four minutes remaining EG Jansen were a converted try behind.

Most of the remaining play took place between the two 22m-lines as neither side could score, but it was Framesby that was elated with their 29-21 victory.


For Framesby:

Tries: JP Greyling, Lindsay Potgieter, Julian Kleyn, Desmick Kleinbooi, Grayson Ditlow
Cons: Riaan van Rensburg 2

For Dr EG Jansen:
Tries: Brandon Becker, Keenan Oelofse, Franco van Eeden
Cons: Dylan Schwartz 3