Montpellier v Leinster clash in doubt due to new Covid cases
NEWS: This week’s European Champions Cup match between Montpellier and Leinster is in doubt after the French club announced on Tuesday that a fifth member of their set-up had tested positive for Covid-19.
“This is the fifth infection detected over a period of seven days in the Montpellier squad, which has a considerable impact on the preparation for the match against Leinster,” the Top 14 side said in a press release.
The entire squad are in isolation after returning four positive cases – two players and two staff – on Monday.
They already appeared out of sorts at Exeter where they suffered a 6-42 defeat in their European opener.
Montpellier have responded by adapting their training, operating in separate groups, and will carry out new tests on Wednesday.
More Leinster cases
Later on Tuesday, Irish province Leinster said further squad members had contracted the virus after recording four cases last week including three players and a member of the management.
“Leinster Rugby returned to training today at UCD following yesterday’s postponement and a full round of antigen and PCR tests which were carried out on site,” the four-time winners said in a statement.
“Leinster Rugby can confirm that the club is assisting an additional number of senior players who have tested positive for Covid-19 and are now self-isolating,” they added.
If one of the teams is unable to fulfil Friday’s fixture, they will forfeit the match in accordance with tournament regulations.
This was the case for Welsh region the Scarlets who were unable to field a team against Bristol Bears in the first round of matches, resulting in the English club being awarded a 28-0 win.