Tue 2 Oct 2018 | 08:29

Sharks get a 'wake-up call'

Sharks get a 'wake-up call'
Tue 2 Oct 2018 | 08:29
Sharks get a 'wake-up call'

CURRIE CUP REACTION: The Sharks were given a “wake-up call” in Cape Town when they went down 28-50 to Western Province.

Both sides headed into that game at Newlands unbeaten and level on points in the Currie Cup standings. However, the home side outscored the Sharks seven tries to four on their way to victory.

That final score will be a big concern for Sharks head coach Robert du Preez as they could face Province again in the play-offs.

“It was disappointing, but we need to give Province credit, they deserve it because they were outstanding,” Du Preez told reporters after the match.

“I thought we did really well to come back into the match but there were lapses in our game while they really executed well.”

The Sharks were down 7-31 at one stage in the game before they fought their way back to be within just three points (28-31) of their opponents. However, Province turned on the gas in the final quarter to secure a comfortable win.

“I thought the game hung in the balance at that point,” du Preez admitted. “I thought we had a great opportunity when we had that nine-man line-out but with the overthrow, that changed the game completely.

“We were definitely in with a chance there, we had our opportunities but just made too many mistakes. We became impatient again and Province were just outstanding, using their opportunities a lot better than we did.”

Du Preez knows that a lot of hard work lies ahead with the play-offs looming.

“I was very happy with the character the boys showed to come back into the game and still be in it to potentially set up a win. That showed a lot of guts and lots of character.

“It’s probably a wake-up call for us. We’ll have to go back to the drawing board and work a lot harder,” he said.

The Sharks travel to Kimberley to face Griquas in their final Currie Cup league game of the season. A win will secure a home semifinal for the Durban side.

Du Preez confirmed that there were no major injury concerns after that match against Western Province.

“Kobus van Wyk pulled his hamstring, that’s pretty much it,” he added.

PV: 1888

Sharks Get A 'wake-up Call' | Rugby365