Sat 24 Oct 2020 | 09:39

Ospreys fight back to sink Glasgow

Ospreys fight back to sink Glasgow
Sat 24 Oct 2020 | 09:39
Ospreys fight back to sink Glasgow

PRO14 REPORT: Ospreys came from behind to secure their first victory over Glasgow Warriors since February 2017 at a soaking Liberty Stadium.


The Welsh side trailed 3-12 in the first half but fought back to claim a 23-15 triumph courtesy of tries from Reuben Morgan-Williams and Kieran Williams either side of the break, with Stephen Myler in fine form off the tee.

Huw Jones and George Turner went over early on for Glasgow but the visitors faded after their bright start and have now lost two of their opening three matches.

Ospreys, on the other hand, now have two wins next to their name – as many as they managed in the entirety of last season.

Warriors flew out the traps and were ahead inside four minutes. Nick Grigg made the initial break after a neat offload by Huw Jones, who was then on hand to stroll over when the ball was quickly recycled close to the Ospreys line.

The hosts hit back and the lively Mat Protheroe had his first impact, collecting Stephen Myler’s perfectly weighted crossfield kick and stepping inside several tacklers before his progress was eventually halted.

Myler’s penalty ensured Ospreys at least collected points for their pressure but Glasgow were straight back on the front foot and scored their second try on 17 minutes, hooker George Turner charging through a gap off the back of a rolling maul.


Peter Horne’s conversion opened up a nine-point advantage and Turner was inches away from his second try shortly afterwards, finishing just short of the line after sliding across the wet surface in contact.

Ospreys began to find their rhythm in what remained of the first half and set up camp inside the Glasgow 22.

Kieran Williams was held up over the line after a terrific run by Reuben Morgan-Williams, who was not to be denied from much closer range in Ospreys’ next attack as the scrum-half darted over in the 36th minute.

Myler added the extras to reduce the deficit to 12-10 and slotted a long-range penalty within three minutes of the restart to put Ospreys in front for the first time.


Horne replied with a penalty of his own but it was Ospreys who were next to cross the whitewash, Kieran Williams sliding over down the blindside after the forwards had found their passage blocked.

Myler nailed his conversion from the touchline and later added a penalty to extend the lead to eight points with 13 minutes to play.

Glasgow came close to setting up a grandstand finale, replacement hooker Grant Stewart powering over only to be held up, and Ospreys held out for an important home win.

The scorers:

For Ospreys:
Tries: Morgan-Williams, K Williams
Cons: Myler 2
Pens: Myler 3

For Glasgow Warriors:
Tries: Jones, Turner
Con: Horne
Pen: Horne


Ospreys: 15 Dan Evans, 14 Mat Protheroe, 13 Scott Williams, 12 Keiran Williams, 11 Luke Morgan, 10 Stephen Myler, 9 Reuben Morgan-Williams; 8 James King, 7 Dan Lydiate (captain), 6 Olly Cracknell, 5 Bradley Davies, 4 Adam Beard, 3 Ma’afu Fia, 2 Dewi Lake, 1 Rhodri Jones,
Replacements: 16 Scott Otten, 17 Gareth Thomas, 18 Tom Botha, 19 Will Griffiths, 20 Sam Cross, 21 Harri Morgan, 22 Josh Thomas, 23 Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler.

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Huw Jones, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Nick Grigg, 12 Sam Johnson, 11 Ratu Tagive, 10 Pete Horne, 9 Jamie Dobie; 8 TJ Ioane, 7 Tom Gordon, 6 Ryan Wilson (captain), 5 Richie Gray, 4 Hamish Bain, 3 D’arcy Rae, 2 George Turner, 1 Aki Seiuli,
Replacements: 16 Grant Stewart, 17 Alex Allan, 18 Enrique Pieretto, 19 Fotu Lokotui, 20 Chris Fusaro, 21 Sean Kennedy, 22 Brandon Thomson, 23 Niko Matawalu

Referee: George Clancy
Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Dan Jones
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)


Main Photo: @ospreys

PV: 6
Ospreys fight back to sink Glasgow | Rugby365