Thu 9 Feb 2017 | 07:38

UWC edge resilient CPUT in Cape derby

UWC edge resilient CPUT in Cape derby
Thu 9 Feb 2017 | 07:38
UWC edge resilient CPUT in Cape derby

Despite going down 23-26, CPUT did not let first-game jitters hinder them from running in three tries in the epic Cape Derby.

Elsewhere, TUT-Vikings made sure they claimed a 16-12 victory over Rhodes University, after trailing for the bulk of the match.

While in Eastern Cape, WSU secured a comfortable 33-12 victory against Fort Hare.

We look at all the Shield action!

UWC 26-23 CPUT

Windy conditions and ill-discipline played an integral part in a game of two halves for the Cape Town sides.

Referee Egon Seconds handed out a whopping seven yellow cards, four belonging to the hosts.

After an ambitious 62-metre penalty kick was missed by UWC captain Aidynn Cupido, lock Anrich Mostert landed himself in the sin bin and handed CPUT a kickable penalty. The CPUT flyhalf Randy Brinkhuis drew first blood as he landed a penalty, 2-0 after 6 minutes of play.  

Despite going down 14-men, UWC retaliated with a try thanks to Kurt-Lee Arendse. Inside CPUT's 22 the home side shifted the ball wide to send Arendse over in the corner, 5-2 with 10 minutes on the clock play.

CPUT's difficulties increased as they were presented with two yellow cards within two minutes. Centre Malan Roode followed by captain Camagu Dlisane for deliberate infringements.

The home side used their numeral advantage to the best of their ability. A five-metre scrum proved to be a nightmare for the 13-men CPUT side as referee Egon Seconds awarded UWC with a penalty try after consecutive infringements, 13-2.

Just before the teams headed to the break, Shaine Oderson extended UWC's lead. After a turnover inside CPUT's five-metre line, the No.8 Oderson picked up a loose ball and sneaked through the CPUT's sleeping defence, 18-2.

UWC opened the second in perfect style thanks to hooker Ismaeel Schroeder. UWC won an early line-out, distributed the ball to the hooker who charged down to the line. Cupido added the extras to make it, 26-2.

Minutes after conceding, CPUT scored their first-ever Varsity Shield try courtesy of Butsha Maputa, the flank saw the gap and marched over for the try. Flyhalf Brinkhuis added the extras, 10-26.

Followed by Brandon Valentine, Hershelle Jantjies was sin binned as CPUT crawled their way back into the game.

CPUT built some phases and were proving to be a real problem for the 13-men side. Ultimately, the defence caved as Clarence van Wyk bulldozed his way over the line. Brinkhuis added the extras.   

With 60 minutes gone, CPUT were again on the hunt for another try. And after five phases the CPUT scored. This time Malan Roode went over the try-line. Roode collected the quick tap-and-go and narrowed the score to three points.  

With two minutes left on the clock, the game could have been won by any team. Unfortunately for CPUT, the ball was lost forward and the final score remained 26-23 in favour of UWC.

The scorers:

For UWC:
Arendse, Penalty try, Oderson, Schroeder
Con: Cupido   

: Maputa, Van Wyk, Roode
Cons: Brinkhuis 2
Pen: Brinkhuis

Yello Cards: Anrich Mostert (UWC), Malan Roode (CPUT) Camagu Dlisane (CPUT), Brandon Valentyn, (UWC), Hershell Jantjies (UWC), Adrian Paarwater, (UWC), Sven Brundyn (CPUT)

TUT 16-12 Rhodes

After 10 minutes of play, Rhodes opened the scoring as hooker Nyanda Uzu scored for his team's first five-pointer. Rhodes stretched their lead thanks to a successful penalty kick by the flyhalf, 7-0 just before the strategy break.

As both teams tried to break past the defence, it was the newcomers Rhodes who took a 7-0 lead at the break.

As the second half commenced, TUT came out with intent. As just after 2 minutes of open play, they scored the opening converted try to narrow the score to just one-point, 8-7.

However, the joy was brief as Rhodes hit back five minutes later with a try to sway the lead back in their favour, 12-8 after 50 minutes of play.

Rhodes' ill-discipline started to creep in as they received their first yellow card. Fortunately for them, their 14-men kept out TUT for long periods of time.

However, with five minutes left on the clock, a lack of concentration saw Rhodes lead diminished as TUT scored a converted try.

The score remained and TUT clinched a 16-12 victory.

The scorers:

For TUT:
Cons: TBC

For Rhodes:
: Uzu, TBC
Pens: TBC

Fort Hare 12-33 WSU

Fort Hare Blues had a splendid start as WSU conceded a penalty inside their 22, the home side opted for the post. Flyhalf Jaundre Christian stepped up and slotted over the kick, 2-0 after just two minutes of play.

The teams ran hard at each other as both teams tried to break through the defence. After 15 minutes of play, WSU broke their duck as Fort Hare conceded a penalty near their 22. A successful kick by Zizipho Kayi levelled matters at 2-2.

On the five metre, Christian was caught offside and given his marching order. With the strategy break to follow, Kayi kicked his side into a 4-2 lead.

The strategy break proved to be fruitful as a up-and-under by WSU provided them with a try. Wing Ntando Mfengu collected the hanging ball on the 50-metre mark and stepped in-between two defenders to score the first converted try of the match, 12-2.

WSU conceded a penalty on their 22 and flyhalf Christian made up for his yellow card. The flyhalf slotted over the kick, 4-12.

Just before the break Fort Hare levelled the score.

Scrumhalf Lindokuhle Kenene, making use of the numbers to his right, quickly shifted the ball wide to create an overlap and send Batshise Luyolo over for his try in the corner. Christain added the extras 12-12.

WSU opened the second half scoring. Inside the red zone, they opted to go the blindside, and some quick hands in the far corner sent Lubabalo Lento over for the try. A difficult conversion by Kayi extended the lead to 20-12.

WSU did not stop there as they added two additional tries, thanks to Luzuko Mafu and Nkulekho who dotted down for their side, 33-12.

After an hour on the clock, Fort Hare had 60 percent possession but their inability to finish made it difficult to get back in the game.

The full-time score 33-12 to the visitors WSU.

For Fort Hare:
Con: Christain
Pens: Christian 2

For WSU:
Mfengu, Lento, Mafu, Nkulekho
Cons: Kayi 2, Nkulekho  
Pens: Kayi 2

Yellow cards: Christain(Fort Hare), TBC (WSU) 

PV: 2
Uwc Edge Resilient Cput In Cape Derby | Rugby365