Tue 24 Jul 2018 | 01:21

Oakdale's Great Victory

Oakdale's Great Victory
Tue 24 Jul 2018 | 01:21
Oakdale's Great Victory

On Saturday Oakdale of Riversdale went to Paarl and beat Paarl Boys’ High for the first time since 2002. It was a great occasion for coach Malan du Plessis and his players.

There were 18 matches between Boys’ High and Oakdale on the day. Oakdale won just two but one of the two was the 1st XV team match. That meant that they all could go home with big smiles, heads high and chests puffed out. “We beat Boys’ High.”

Boys’ High dominated the first 20 minutes as they kept the ball amongst their forwards. They put Oakdale under pressure as they mauled from line-outs and used their big ball-carriers from breakdowns but when Oakdale got the ball, they spread it wide and looked dangerous.

Boys’ High scored first when Trent Sivertsen goaled a penalty. 3-0 after 2 minutes. But Oakdale won a turnover and wing Trevino Gordon rounded his man for the first of his hat-trick of tries. 5-3 to Oakdale after 4 minutes.

Boys’ High got their lead back when Oakdale knocked on in a line-out and scrumhalf Simon Carstens scored. Boys’ High led 10-5.

From the kick-off, Oakdale lost the ball and slipped up on defence allowing outside centre Quan Horn to score, and Boys’ High lead 17-5. But then Oakdale fought back with effect.

From the kick-off star centre Janco Klinck raced over for a try to make it 17-10.

Boys’ High then spent 12 minutes battering at the Oakdale line while the Bulls of Riversdale defended for all they were worth and survived.

In fact Oakdale were the ones to score next when they played wide and Gordon scored his second try. 17-15.

Three missed conversions were followed by a successful penalty, kicked by fullback Clyde Lewis, and Oakdale, who had scored three tries to two and had been attacking, led 18-15 at half-time.

Right at the start of the second half, Boys’ High were penalised and Lewis made it 21-17. And it got worse for Boys’ High when lock Hannes Gous intercepted and galloped 45 metres for a dramatic try. 28-17.

Boys’ High got one back when they drove a maul the five metres from the gaol-line for a try credited to Cullen van der Merwe. 28-22.

Oakdale kicked off deep and charged down a clearing kick by Sivertsen, and Gordon scored his third try. 35-22.

Oakdale confidence was obvious. Klinck broke in midfield and gave to Gous who gave to speedy Lewis who scored, and the score was an astonishing 40-22 to Oakdale.

Oakdale came back on the attack and were hammering at the goal-line when inside centre Etienne Steyn burst over for a try. 47–2.

Just before the end fullback Sivertsen scored for Boys’ High to make the final score 47-27.

It was a most surprising match.

Next week Oakdale play a farming derby with Marlow of Cradock in Riversdale.


For Oakdale:
Tries: Trevino Gordon 3, Janco Klinck, Etienne Steyn, Hannes Gous, Clyde Lewis
Cons: Clyde Lewis 3
Pens: Clyde Leis 2

For Paarl Boys’ High:
Tries: Cullen van der Merwe, Simon Carstens, Quan Horn, Trent Sivertsen
Cons: Trent Sivertsen 3
Pen: Trent Sivertsen


Paarl Boys’ High: 15 Trent Sivertsen, 14 Carlo Uys, 13 Quan Horn, 12 Nathan Bezuidenhout, 11 Riis du Plessis, 10 Estiaan van Rensburg, 9 Simon Carstens, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Arminn Posthumus, 6 Stass Nel, 5 JC Loedolff, 4 Emile van Heerden, 3 Roubert Bester, Cullen van der Merwe, 1 De Wet Wolhuter

Oakdale: 15 Clyde Lewis, 14 Trevino Gordon, 13 Janco Klinck, 12 Etienne Steyn, 11 Joaquin Taute, 10 Jan Daniël Strydom, 9 Derick Jooste, 8 Le Roux Pepler, 7 Henco Beukes, 6 Jaco Bruwer, 5 Hannes Gous (captain), 4 Pierré-Raymond Uys, 3 Pieter Maritz, 2 Keano Hendricks, 1 Magnus Muller

Referee: Nathan Swartz

From Malan du Plessis

PV: 1007

Oakdale's Great Victory | Rugby365