England's sickbay getting crowded
INJURY UPDATE: England has lost the services of another key player ahead of their series decider against Australia in Sydney.
The England camp confirmed on Monday that flank Sam Underhill had joined lock Maro Itoje on the list of players withdrawn from the squad after suffering concussions in this past weekend’s second Test win against Australia in Brisbane.
No replacements will be called up.
“The medical situation with Maro is that he will be out next weekend,” England coach Eddie Jones said after the game.
Itoje collided with Wallaby centre Hunter Paisami shortly before half-time, when England was in control.
He required medical attention and left the field for a head injury assessment.
The Saracens lock, an essential presence in the England pack, did not return for the second half which saw Australia coming back strongly from a 7-19 deficit.
England, however, hung on to win 25-17 and so level the three-match series.
Australia won the first Test 30-28 in Perth last week.
Jones said the “pressure’s on the other mob now”, after the England win.
The boot of Owen Farrell proved the difference in Brisbane, with the veteran Saracens star kicking 20 points to ensure the three-match series heads to Sydney next weekend with the Ella-Mobbs Cup on the line.
Jones was feeling the heat ahead of the clash after England crashed 30-28 in the first Test at Perth, which followed a disappointing Six Nations campaign and an embarrassing loss to the Barbarians.
But the affable Australian insisted the pressure was now on Dave Rennie’s side.
“It’s 1-1. And the pressure’s on the other mob now,” he said.
“So they’ve got to deal with that pressure. We’ll find ways of getting better.”