Get Newsletter

England prop Corbisiero to take year out

He revealed in a newspaper interview published on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 27-year-old has battled a succession of injury problems since a strong showing for the British and Irish Lions in 2013 and underwent a knee operation last week.

But Corbisiero said it was mental, rather than physical, factors that had prompted him to take a year out.

"The decision was made before I knew that I would need that knee surgery," he told the Sunday Times.

"My contract with Northampton Saints was up at the end of the year and I just decided not to renegotiate with Saints or speak with any other club. I am not stopping because I don't have options.

"It is a decision that I feel is necessary if, in the longer term, I'm going to be the player I want to be. It is way more mental than physical.

"It's no secret I've had a number of injuries and there's been some frustrating times. But mentally I am drained and I'm really looking forward to some time away from the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Recharge my batteries, come back re-motivated, ready to crack on again."

Agence France-Presse

England prop Corbisiero to take year out

Join free

Boks Office | Episode 39 | The Investec Champions Cup is back

Argentina v France | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Men's Match Highlights

New Zealand v Australia | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Women's Match Highlights

Tokyo Sungoliath vs Shizuoka BlueRevs | Japan Rugby League One 2024/25 | Full Match Replay

Reds vs Force | Super Rugby W 2025 | Full Match Replay

The Rise of Kenya | The Report

New Zealand in Hong Kong | Brady Rush | Sevens Wonders | Episode 4

The Fixture: How This Rugby Rivalry Has Lasted 59 Years

Write A Comment