Get Newsletter

All Blacks extend Ireland's World Cup misery

MATCH REPORT: It is certainly a very familiar tale for the Irish and supporters as their wait for a World Cup semifinal berth continues.


The Irish’s World Cup campaign came to a heartbreaking end, as they went down 24-28 to New Zealand at Stade de France in Saint-Denis on Saturday.

*To recap all the action: CLICK HERE!!!

The match was the eight time the Irish reached the quarterfinal and they failed to book a semifinal spot every time.

In 2019 they were well beaten by the All Blacks in Japan and on Saturday the men in black managed to do it again in front of 78 845 spectators in Paris.

The win is sweet revenge for the historic home series defeat at the hands of Ireland last year.

The All Blacks had to overcome two yellow cards for the incredible victory.

The All Blacks turned on the pressure early on, pounding away at the Irish line and it told as referee Wayne Barnes awarded them a penalty – Richie Mo’unga slotted it over for 3-0.

The All Blacks moved into a 6-0 lead near the quarter-hour mark as Jordie Barrett landed a superb long-range penalty from just inside the Irish half.


Ireland did pierce the New Zealand defence on a couple of occasions but their discipline let them down and it was their opponents who were turning their chances into points.

After a successful Johnny Sexton penalty, All Blacks took a 13-3 lead as a great chip and chase kick by Beauden Barrett made sure Leicester Fainga’anuku touched down.

Mo’unga converted from the left touchline.

The Irish were right back in the game as the clock ticked towards the half-hour mark. James Lowe’s long pass found Bundee Aki who took it high but still managed to break through several tackles and touch down and Sexton converted, cutting the deficit to just three points.


All Blacks hit back when the outstanding Ardie Savea went in in the corner to mark his 30th birthday in style. Mo’unga’s conversion went wide, however, the All Blacks were 18-10 up.

The All Blacks went down to 14 men when Barnes yellow-carded Aaron Smith for a deliberate knock-on as Ireland were pressing and Sexton went for touch with the penalty.

It paid off as having kicked to touch shortly afterwards with another penalty Jamison Gibson-Park saw a gap and seized the opportunity brilliantly to go over from close range.

Sexton added the extras to bring Ireland within a point at 18-17 as they into the half-time break.

The Irish had the better of the opening exchanges in the second half but were penalised by Barnes as they failed to take advantage of the extra man.

As in the first half, the All Blacks proved clinical in punishing them for those errors – Will Jordan finished off a brilliant break by Mo’unga and Jordie Barrett landed the conversion for 25-17 with 25 minutes remaining.

Things just weren’t going Ireland’s way as Sexton opted to go for goal but sent his penalty wide as groans rang around the stadium with the clock ticking towards the hour mark.

Farrell decided it was time to give veteran Conor Murray a go and partner Sexton as he has done for the majority of their outstanding careers. On he came to replace the tiring Gibson-Park with 19 minutes to go.

Teh changes proved fruitful as Irlenad were awarded a penalty try, trailing 24-25 with 16 minutes to go.

All Blacks went down to 14-man Codie Taylor sin-binned.

But Jordie Barrett stretched the lead to 28-24 with 11 minutes remaining with another long-range penalty.

The Irish pounded away in the dying minutes, phase after phase of attack, but the All Blacks stood firm for the win.

Man of the match: All Blacks No.8 Ardie Savea. He was an absolute beast, his carries are well into double figures, while he made crucial steals inside his own 22 and he also scored a great diving try in the corner.

The scorers: 

For Ireland
Tries: Aki, Gibson-Park, Penalty try
Cons: Sexon 2, Penalty try do not need a conversion
Pen: Sexton

For New Zealand:
Tries: Fainga’anuku, Savea, Jordan
Cons: Mo’unga, J Barrett
Pens: Mo’unga, J Barrett 2

Yellow cards: Aaron Smith (New Zealand, 36 – deliberately knock on), Codie Taylor (New Zealand, 63 – collapsing the maul)


Ireland: 15 Hugo Keenan, 14 Mack Hansen, 13 Garry Ringrose, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 James Lowe, 10 Johnny Sexton (captain), 9 Jamison Gibson-Park, 8 Caelan Doris, 7 Josh van der Flier, 6 Peter O’Mahony, 5 Iain Henderson, 4 Tadhg Beirne, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Dan Sheehan, 1 Andrew Porter.
Replacements: 16 Ronan Kelleher, 17 David Kilcoyne, 18 Finlay Bealham, 19 Joe McCarthy, 20 Jack Conan, 21 Conor Murray, 22 Jack Crowley, 23 Jimmy O’Brien.

New Zealand: 15 Beauden Barrett, 14 Will Jordan, 13 Rieko Ioane, 12 Jordie Barrett, 11 Leicester Fainga’anuku, 10 Richie Mo’unga, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Ardie Savea, 7 Sam Cane (captain), 6 Shannon Frizell, 5 Scott Barrett, 4 Brodie Retallick, 3 Tyrel Lomax, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Ethan de Groot.
Replacements: 16 Dane Coles, 17 Tamaiti Williams, 18 Fletcher Newell, 19 Samuel Whitelock, 20 Dalton Papali’i, 21 Finlay Christie, 22 Damian McKenzie, 23 Anton Lienert-Brown.

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Assistant referees: Matthew Carley (England), and Christophe Ridley (England)
TMO: Tom Foley (England)`

*Additional reporting: AFP


Write A Comment