Italy great Parisse on standby for Six Nations recall
NEWS: Italy great Sergio Parisse, who is set to retire from rugby at the end of the season, will be recalled for the Six Nations if he has recovered sufficiently from his recent wrist injury, coach Kieran Crowley said on Monday.
The 38-year-old, who has won 142 caps, last featured for Italy during the 2019 World Cup when his ‘farewell’ match against New Zealand was wiped out by a typhoon.
The Toulon No.8 fractured his wrist on September 19 and only returned to the pitch this month.
“I spoke with Sergio. He has only played one game since his broken wrist, we will take stock after the holidays,” Crowley told Gazzetta dello Sport.
“If he regains the physical condition he displayed until September, it will be a deserved summons, beyond his name and his CV. He will offer added value.”
Crowley, who took over at the helm earlier this, is due to name his squad on January 13.
Parisse has long wanted a farewell appearance in front of his home crowd in Rome and last week acknowledged that the 2022 Six Nations could be a final opportunity.
“I have never denied my desire to put on the Italy jersey again, provided I am in good shape,” he told Gazzetta.
“If the wrist holds and I find the right rhythm. The priority is to be competitive. If I am in good shape, I am available.”