Get Newsletter

BREAKING: The shocking reason for Elton Jantjies' absence

STATEMENT: The real reason for Elton Jantjies’ departure from the Springbok team has been revealed.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a development that is likely to end his playing career, the 33-year-old South African confirmed that he tested positive for a banned substance.

The revelation was contained in a statement Jantjies released through his lawyer Barend Kellerman.

The South African Rugby Union confirmed they were ‘advised’ of the adverse finding.

A spate of injuries among the Bok flyhalves resulted in a call-up for Jantjies to the Rugby Championship training squad in June – as cover at No.10.

However, he neither made the final Rugby Championship nor the subsequent World Cup cut.

His absence was never adequately explained – until now.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It with no small amount of shock and sadness that I have to inform you that I received notification earlier this month, from the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport, that a urine sample that I had provided to them in June 2023, returned a positive test for a banned substance, Clenbuterol,” Jantjies said in a statement issued on Saturday.

“I have instructed legal representation to assist me in determining the source of the prohibited substance and I have instructed them to ask for my B Sample to be tested and to launch an inquiry into the possible causes for the positive test.”

The 46-times capped Bok denied that he ever ‘deliberately’ took a banned substance.

SARU-statement-on-Elton-Jantjies

ADVERTISEMENT

“I will do everything in my power to prove my innocence.”

The latest development comes after a series of setbacks – including his arrest for causing damage on an international flight and returning home from the Bok camp after an alleged affair with team dietician Zeenat Simjee.

“This is another setback in what has been a very volatile time for me,” he said, adding: “I shall overcome this with the support of my family and friends.

“I know that there will be those out there who doubt my innocence, but I hope to prove you wrong, in due course.

“For those who support me, thank you.”

SARU said in a statement it noted the statement issued on behalf of Jantjies.

“A regulated process is now in train, which we are bound to respect and allow to run its course without further comment or speculation,” SARU said.

@king365ed
@rugby365com

Elton-Jantjies-statement

Join free

Walk the Talk | Ardie Savea | Trailer

New Zealand v Canada | Pacific Four Series 2024 | Full Match Replay

HSBC Sevens Challenger Series - Munich Day Two Replay

HSBC Sevens Challenger Series - Krakow Day Two Replay

Japan Rugby League One Semi-Final | Wildknights v Eagles | Full Match Replay

Japan Rugby League One Semi-Final | Bravelupus v Sungoliath | Full Match Replay

Pieter-Steph du Toit, The Malmesbury Missile, in conversation with Big Jim

Chasing The Sun | Series 1 Episode 1

Write A Comment