Wales v Boks will go ahead
According to a report in The Daily Mail, it was feared that the Test was in 'serious doubt' as unrest grows due to "miserable ticket sales and the impending collapse of the company staging the fixture"- partly funded by the Rugby Football Union and struggling Premiership outfit Harlequins.
The match was set up by a promotional company, which has RFU Chief Executive Stephen Brown as a board member.
But as that company, Rugby International Marketing (RIM), haemorrhages money – with a staggering £3-million (US$4.2-million) lost by the end of 2017 – there were grave concerns surrounding the Test.
Wales and South Africa have reportedly also had their original match fee of £720,000 (US$1-million) reduced to £540,000 (US$750,000).
In a statement released by the Welsh Rugby Union, Mark Lambourne, who is a RIM board member, said: "The ticket sales are currently tracking, with over 12 000 sold to date, and it is still well over a month until Wales and South Africa meet at the RFK Stadium in Washington DC.
"Published USA Rugby minutes from last month transcribe the fact that a healthy debate was had about the game, with directors entirely within their rights to discuss the benefits for USA Rugby.
"For the elimination of any doubt, the fixture was since officially sanctioned and preparations are going ahead at full pace.
"We are all very much looking forward to welcoming Wales and the Springboks to Washington DC on June 2."
rugby365 asked SA Rugby for a response on the matter.
"We've not heard anything about the match being cancelled and we are looking forward to playing Wales in the USA in June," said an SA Rugby spokesman.
Source: walesonline.co.uk & The Daily Mail