Challenge Cup by the numbers: SA teams' impact
SPOTLIGHT: Following the past weekend’s Challenge Cup Round One matches, we look at the key data and top performers.
Top performers – Round One
Points: 16 – Sam Davies (Dragons)
Carries: 21 – Friedle Olivier (Cheetahs)
Metres: 149 – Ross Moriarty (Dragons)
Defenders beaten: Eight – Aymeric Luc (Toulon)
Tackles: 20 – Cameron Neild (Glasgow Warriors), Tom Marshall (Newcastle Falcons)
Offloads: Three – Fitz Harding (Bristol Bears), Mathieu Smaili (Toulon)
* Cheetahs No.8 Friedle Olivier made the most carries in Round One (21) and more metres in contact than any other forward (27) during his side’s victory over Section Paloise.
* Fifty-five percent of the Lions’ carries at the weekend were dominant – the highest percentage of the round. Emmanuel Tshituka made nine dominant carry contacts against Dragons – more than any other player.
* Sam Davies of Dragons scored the most points in Round One (16) with a try, four conversions and a penalty, missing no kicks at goal during the draw with the Lions.
* The Scarlets made more metres in contact than any other side (131) and had the second-best gainline success of the round (59 percent) in their impressive home win over Aviron Bayonnais.
* Cardiff won six scrum penalties and scored two maul tries in the win against CA Brive – both the highest totals of the opening round.