Get Newsletter

Tigers still running wild

PREMIERSHIP MATCH REPORT: George Ford kicked 11 points to maintain Leicester’s unbeaten start to the season by winning a titanic struggle with the reigning champions.


Ford kicked three penalties and converted Harry Potter’s try as Tigers took their winning run to nine Premiership matches, their best league run since 10 was achieved between November 2001 and March 2002.

Louis Lynagh scored Harlequins’ try with Marcus Smith kicking three penalties but Smith and Danny Care were outpointed in the key halfback duel with the experienced Ford and Ben Youngs.

Leicester prop Dan Cole celebrated his 200th Premiership appearance before a sell-out crowd of 24,202 at Mattioli Woods Welford Road and his side were soon ahead when Ford knocked over a simple penalty.

Smith responded with one for Quins but Ben Youngs brought the home crowd to its feet with a superb 40-metre break which took him close to the try-line – but Tigers were unable to capitalise as Ford failed to find Hanro Liebenberg with his cross-field kick.

A second penalty from Smith put the visitors 6-3 in front at the end of the first quarter, which Leicester had largely controlled, but they could not take advantage of some powerful carries from Ellis Genge and Nemani Nadolo.

Youngs was the star of the opening exchanges as he made another sizzling break to leave Alex Dombrandt in his wake, but desperate defence from Quins kept the scrumhalf out.


Leicester turned down a couple of kickable penalties and were narrowly denied when Freddie Steward was forced into touch inches short by the combined efforts of Tyrone Green and Cadan Murley.

Ford brought the scores level with his second success before Smith was yellow-carded for knocking the ball from Youngs’ hands, with Ford kicking the resulting penalty.

Leicester No.8 Jasper Wiese then followed Smith to the sin-bin for a no-arms tackle and the visitors should have made them pay but Huw Jones, on his first Premiership start, inexplicably went for glory when there was a clear overlap outside him. A golden opportunity was lost so Tigers held on for a 9-6 interval lead.

Three minutes after the restart, Tigers scored the first try when Ford and Youngs neatly combined before Potter collected the scrumhalf’s kick ahead to score.


Smith and Wiese both returned from the bin before Smith kept Quins in contention with his third penalty.

The outstanding Youngs was replaced by Richard Wigglesworth with 25 minutes remaining and it was in time to see Lynagh score a splendid solo try by skilfully kicking ahead and winning the race to touch down. Smith’s touchline conversion crucially went wide so Leicester held a two-point advantage going into the final 15 minutes.

Ford was then presented with his most difficult kick of the afternoon and although he was off target from 45 metres on an angle, his side held on for a deserved victory.

The scorers

For Leicester Tigers
Try: Potter
Con: Ford
Pens: Ford 3

For Harlequins
Try: Lynagh
Pens: Smith 3


Harlequins: 15 Tyrone Green, 14 Louis Lynagh, 13 Huw Jones, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Cadan Murley, 10 Marcus Smith, 9 Danny Care, 8 Alex Dombrandt, 7 Jack Kenningham, 6 James Chisholm, 5 Stephan Lewies (captain), 4 Dino Lamb, 3 Will Collier, 2 Jack Walker, 1 Joe Marler.
Replacements: 16 Jack Musk, 17 Santiago Garcia Botta, 18 Simon Kerrod, 19 Hugh Tizard, 20 Viliami Taulani, 21 Tom Lawday, 22 Lewis Gjaltema, 23 Oscar Beard.

Leicester Tigers: 15 Freddie Steward, 14 Harry Potter, 13 Matías Moroni, 12 Dan Kelly, 11 Nemani Nadolo, 10 George Ford, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Marco van Staden, 6 Hanro Liebenberg, 5 Eli Snyman, 4 Harry Wells, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Julián Montoya, 1 Ellis Genge (captain).
Replacements: 16 Nic Dolly, 17 Nephi Leatigaga, 18 Joe Heyes, 19 Ollie Chessum, 20 Tommy Reffell, 21 Richard Wigglesworth, 22 Bryce Hegarty, 23 Guy Porter.

Referee: Ian Tempest
Assistant referees: Jamie Leahy & Wayne Falla
TMO: Claire Hodnett

Sources: PA & RugbyPass

Write A Comment