'The scenario was very unique': France coach has his say on Bok clash
REACTION: France head coach Fabien Galthie said on Saturday his side “are on the right path” for next year’s Rugby World Cup after edging Webb Ellis trophy holders South Africa 30-26 in Marseille.
Both teams had players sent off with the Springboks’ 2019 World Rugby Player of the year Pieter-Steph du Toit shown a red card inside the first quarter of an hour before last year’s award winner Antoine Dupont suffered the same fate after the break for the home side.
Les Bleus, the tournament’s hosts, have now beaten all of the top 10 ranked nations since Galthie took over after the 2019 World Cup.
“We had a powerful experience tonight and we won. We wanted to win in whatever way possible,” Galthie told France Televisions.
“The scenario was very unique.
“We’re advancing. We’re on the right path,” he added.
The story continues below…
#⃣OPINION: @King365ed rates the @Springboks after their 26-30 loss to @FranceRugby at #StadeVelodrome in #Marseille on #Saturday – in game in which both teams got red cards#Rugby 🏉#RugbyUnion 🌍#FRAvRSA 🇫🇷V🇿🇦
— rugby365.com (@rugby365com) November 12, 2022
Galthie kept the same starting lineup from last weekend’s win over Australia, the country’s record 11th straight victory.
“They’re a great, amazing side. They’ve shown that for 12 games now,” Boks captain Kolisi told reporters.
“They have a strong pack. They are a force to be reckoned with already,” he added.
France will end their November series with a match against Japan in Toulouse next weekend, which means they are favourites to end the year unbeaten.
“I don’t know if we’re unbeatable,” flanker Anthony Jelonch said.
“But last week we could have lost and again tonight, yet we didn’t.”
Additional source: AAP