Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyPass Match Centre
Scores
Sorry there are no live games.
See what's coming up.
Bulls BUL Sharks SHA Sat
26 Sep
4:25pm SAST
Lions LIO Stormers STO Sat
26 Sep
6:55pm SAST
Wellington WEL Bay of Plenty BAY Fri
25 Sep
9:00am SAST
Tasman TAS Waikato WAI Sat
26 Sep
4:00am SAST
Southland SOU North Harbour HAR Sat
26 Sep
6:15am SAST
Hawke's Bay HAW Canterbury CAN Sat
26 Sep
9:00am SAST
Auckland AUC Manawatu MAN Sun
27 Sep
3:00am SAST
Taranaki TAR Otago OTA Sun
27 Sep
3:00am SAST
Counties COU Northland NOR Sun
27 Sep
5:15am SAST
Bay of Plenty BAY Auckland AUC Fri
2 Oct
8:00am SAST
Counties COU Manawatu MAN Sat
3 Oct
3:00am SAST
Northland NOR Taranaki TAR Sat
3 Oct
5:15am SAST
Canterbury CAN Wellington WEL Sat
3 Oct
8:00am SAST
North Harbour HAR Tasman TAS Sun
4 Oct
3:00am SAST
Southland SOU Waikato WAI Sun
4 Oct
3:00am SAST
Otago OTA Hawke's Bay HAW Sun
4 Oct
5:15am SAST
Manawatu MAN Canterbury CAN Fri
9 Oct
8:00am SAST
North Harbour HAR Hawke's Bay HAW Sat
10 Oct
3:00am SAST
Taranaki TAR Auckland AUC Sat
10 Oct
3:00am SAST
Wellington WEL Otago OTA Sat
10 Oct
5:15am SAST
Waikato WAI Counties COU Sat
10 Oct
8:00am SAST
Northland NOR Southland SOU Sun
11 Oct
2:10am SAST
Tasman TAS Bay of Plenty BAY Sun
11 Oct
2:10am SAST
Hawke's Bay HAW Northland NOR Fri
16 Oct
8:00am SAST
Manawatu MAN Bay of Plenty BAY Sat
17 Oct
3:00am SAST
Wellington WEL North Harbour HAR Sat
17 Oct
3:00am SAST
Auckland AUC Tasman TAS Sat
17 Oct
5:15am SAST
Southland SOU Taranaki TAR Sat
17 Oct
8:00am SAST
Otago OTA Counties COU Sun
18 Oct
2:10am SAST
Canterbury CAN Waikato WAI Sun
18 Oct
2:10am SAST
Otago OTA Northland NOR Fri
23 Oct
8:00am SAST
Bay of Plenty BAY Canterbury CAN Sat
24 Oct
3:00am SAST
Hawke's Bay HAW Manawatu MAN Sat
24 Oct
5:15am SAST
North Harbour HAR Auckland AUC Sat
24 Oct
8:00am SAST
Counties COU Wellington WEL Sun
25 Oct
3:00am SAST
Tasman TAS Southland SOU Sun
25 Oct
3:00am SAST
Waikato WAI Taranaki TAR Sun
25 Oct
5:15am SAST
Canterbury CAN Otago OTA Fri
30 Oct
8:00am SAST
Wellington WEL Tasman TAS Sat
31 Oct
3:00am SAST
Northland NOR North Harbour HAR Sat
31 Oct
5:15am SAST
Auckland AUC Waikato WAI Sat
31 Oct
8:00am SAST
Bay of Plenty BAY Hawke's Bay HAW Sun
1 Nov
3:00am SAST
Manawatu MAN Southland SOU Sun
1 Nov
3:00am SAST
Taranaki TAR Counties COU Sun
1 Nov
5:15am SAST
Southland SOU Otago OTA Fri
6 Nov
8:00am SAST
Auckland AUC Northland NOR Sat
7 Nov
3:00am SAST
North Harbour HAR Counties COU Sat
7 Nov
5:15am SAST
Tasman TAS Canterbury CAN Sat
7 Nov
8:00am SAST
Hawke's Bay HAW Wellington WEL Sun
8 Nov
3:00am SAST
Waikato WAI Bay of Plenty BAY Sun
8 Nov
3:00am SAST
Manawatu MAN Taranaki TAR Sun
8 Nov
5:15am SAST
Counties COU Southland SOU Fri
13 Nov
8:00am SAST
Northland NOR Waikato WAI Sat
14 Nov
3:00am SAST
Otago OTA Tasman TAS Sat
14 Nov
5:15am SAST
Wellington WEL Manawatu MAN Sat
14 Nov
8:00am SAST
Sat 22 Aug 2020 | 10:29

Now Wellington takes the lead

Now Wellington takes the lead
Sat 22 Aug 2020 | 10:29
Now Wellington takes the lead
SHARE

SPOTLIGHT: Wellington is in the box seat to host the North versus South match after the Government denied exemptions for Auckland-based players and staff to travel next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

With another $1 million in gate takings at stake, New Zealand Rugby is on tenterhooks as it awaits the Government’s next Covid-19 update on Monday.

Having made the decision to postpone the North against South fixture by one week – from August 29 to September 5 – Monday’s announcement will now determine whether the match is staged in Auckland as originally planned or moved to the capital.

While a range of scenarios remain in play, NZR head of professional rugby Chris Lendrum said the match would be cancelled if it could not be played on September 5.

“There is an alternative here where we cannot play the game but we remain really hopeful that can happen. At this stage we don’t think we can push past September 5 or that weekend because we’ve got the NPC due to start the following weekend.

“There is a scenario where the game could be played without crowds at Level 2, but it is going to depend on the position of the entire country in all likelihood.

“So, no, we don’t have a decision on a venue. We will see what Monday brings, when the Government revises or extends the current levels.”

ADVERTISEMENT

(Continue reading below … )

Video Spacer

With Auckland seemingly unlikely to jump from alert Level 3 to 1 next week, Wellington appears a more realistic option of hosting the match with crowds permitted to attend.

New Zealand Rugby and the Blues lost $1 million in gate takings from cancelling the final Super Rugby Aotearoa match against the Crusaders at a sold-out Eden Park, and Lendrum confirmed a comparable pot was on the line for the North and South fixture.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s around a similar sort of figure. We’re talking about a sold-out Eden Park, at relatively accessible ticketing prices. Wellington is a smaller venue so there would be a smaller yield from ticketing but by far the greater cost is to not have the game at all.”

NZ Rugby failed in its attempt to gain exemptions for the 14 Auckland-based players and five support staff to travel to Wellington and assemble with the squads on Monday – Health Minister Chris Hipkins initially saying he had not received any exemption requests – and there is no expectation that situation will change.

“We submitted the exemptions early in the week it goes into the same process that any other individual or business goes into. I’m not sure whether he had seen it at the time he spoke or not.

“Our understanding is the threshold for exemption is really high. The exemptions are only really for life-threatening circumstances.

“We haven’t met the threshold which is frustrating for everyone involved in the game and the fans, but we totally accept the decision.

“We are not frustrated at the decision. We are just frustrated we can’t play the game – yet.”

Lendrum confirmed if NZ Rugby is unable to get players and management released from Auckland that will force the game to be cancelled.

“The thinking this week is that wouldn’t be the right thing to do. It wouldn’t do justice to the fixture, it wouldn’t be the preference of the people participating or the fans.

“We have taken the decision that is preferable to delay, rather than consider that option.”

Barrett brothers

Postponing the North against South match is expected to have a knock-on effect for the availability of All Blacks and leading Super Rugby players involved in the fixture. Injuries and fatigue are likely, and some players face the prospect of a six-day turnaround for the opening Mitre 10 Cup match between North Harbour and Canterbury on September 11.

“We’ll have to put a player-by-player lens across this but as a general rule, we expect all our players to be available for round one of Mitre 10. Every week we lose to COVID we condense a bit harder up against the end of the year. All of these things we’re taking day by day, week by week.”

Despite the ongoing uncertainty, Lendrum remains positive about New Zealand hosting the Rugby Championship from November 7 to December 12.

The All Blacks’ first match of the year, against a Moana Pacific side at Mt Smart Stadium on October 3, is expected to be confirmed next week.

“Every day, every week, things fluctuate. There’s always been risk around Bledisloe Cup and Rugby Championship being able to be played. Right now we remain really confident – we don’t have to make those decisions today fortunately we’ve got time so we’ll keep a watching brief.”

Source: RugbyPass

PV: 605
ADVERTISEMENT
Now Wellington takes the lead - new zealand | Rugby365