Sat 17 Sep 2022 | 06:44

'No evidence' of failed Bok drug tests

'No evidence' of failed Bok drug tests
Sat 17 Sep 2022 | 06:44
'No evidence' of failed Bok drug tests
SHARE

REACTION: The South African Rugby Union moved swiftly to squash rumours that ‘several’ Springboks have tested positive for the use of illicit drugs

ADVERTISEMENT

Online media reported on Saturday that Sunday newspaper Rapport is ready to publish an article that alleges several Boks tested positive for cocaine.

According to the website, unnamed sources confirmed that SARU was seeking a legal interdict to stop the story – which they believe has no foundation.

SARU responded with a statement denying the allegations

“SA Rugby is aware that unsubstantiated allegations of failed tests for recreational drugs by Springbok players are circulating among members of the media,” the SARU statement read.

“Disappointingly, these allegations have already appeared online despite the absence of any evidence to support them.”0

The national body said they consistently told media that no such reports have been received by or any player from the South African Institute for Drug Free Sport – the only authority permitted to perform such tests.

ADVERTISEMENT

SARU does not conduct its own tests.

“Despite the absence of any such reports, players and management in Argentina have been contacted to ‘tell their story‘, distracting and destabilising the entire camp in the build-up of the Test [on Saturday] against Argentina in Buenos Aires,” SARU said

SA Rugby wishes to repeat that it has no evidence of any adverse analytical findings for any kind of drug – be it performance enhancing or recreational – by Springbok players and regards the publication or the threat to publish such allegations as a deliberate attempt to sabotage the team’s preparations.”

The drug rumours follow in the wake of the departure of flyhalf Elton Jantjies and team dietician Zeenat Simjee over allegations that they had an extra-marital affair.

ADVERTISEMENT

The two returned home from Buenos Aires last weekend, after there were reports in weekend media that the pair had enjoyed a tryst in two guesthouses prior to South Africa’s Rugby Championship opener in Nelspruit last month.

* Both have since denied the allegations. (To read their statements, CLICK HERE!)

 

PV: 11
ADVERTISEMENT