Wed 8 Jun 2022 | 02:26

VIDEO: Nienaber - Jantjies has not been found guilty of anything

VIDEO: Nienaber - Jantjies has not been found guilty of anything
Wed 8 Jun 2022 | 02:26
VIDEO: Nienaber - Jantjies has not been found guilty of anything
SHARE

REACTION: Springbok coach Jacques Nienaber has suggested the legal process must run its course before a call will be made on World Cup-winning flyhalf Elton Jantjies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jantjies, who is part of a Springbok training squad that gathered in Pretoria this week, is set to return to court later this month – following his much-publicised aircraft incident.

Jantjies’ next court appearance has been postponed to June 17, following a brief appearance in the Kemptonpark Magistrate’s Court last Friday, June 3.

The 44-times capped Bok faces charges of ‘malicious injury to property’ and the ‘contravention of the Aviation Act’.

Jantjies, 31, was arrested at OR Tambo International Airport last month after he allegedly damaged property on a flight coming in via Dubai – having spent time with his family in Turkey.

The Bok coach, Nienaber, told a virtual media briefing on Wednesday that the “alleged” incident did not take place while the player was on Springbok duty.

(Continue below …)

Video Spacer

“Elton Jantjies has not been found guilty of anything,” he said, adding: “When that case is concluded we will take it from there.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Following his arrest on his arrival in Johannesburg on Sunday, May 15, a SARU spokesperson told @rugby365com: “We’ve been informed of Elton’s arrest.

“However, we are still in the process of gathering more information and can’t say anything at this stage.”

* Meanwhile Jantjies’ agent, James Adams, maintained that only a light was damaged during the flight.

“We believe the incident has been unnecessarily heightened.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Our client, however, remains compliant with the investigation process and will address this matter with the seriousness it beckons.

“We would like to allow the legal authorities to attend to this without any undue influence and ask that the public and the press respect the legal process without casting judgement and also request that our client’s right to privacy be respected.”

There have been reports that there was a chance Jantjies’ case could be resolved through mediation.

Jantjies made his debut against Australia at Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria, in 2012 and featured as a replacement against England at Twickenham, London, in November last year.

@king365ed
@rugby365com

James Adams statement on Elton Jantjies

 

PV: 15
ADVERTISEMENT