Thu 9 Aug 2018 | 11:16

Bishops & St Andrew's Delight

Bishops & St Andrew's Delight
Thu 9 Aug 2018 | 11:16
Bishops & St Andrew's Delight

122 years after St Andrew’s first came to play Bishops, they brought five teams to Rondebosch to keep the ancient rivalry going.

For St Andrew’s it was the start of their holidays. It was a disappointing end to a successful rugby season for St Andrew’s as Bishops won all five matches.


1st XV: Bishops won 28-22
2nd XV: Bishops won 26-12
Under-16A: Bishops won 38-10
Under-15A: Bishops won 57-8
Under-14A: Bishops won 43-10

The 1st XV match was closer than the score suggests. Bishops led 24-5 at half time, which means that St Andrew’s won the second half 17-14 and in fact the scoring was just 5-4 to Bishops who had the unerring boot of Jordan Meyer on their side.

Bishops, wearing white so as not to clash with the blues of St Andrew’s, kicked off and immediately went on the attack. They spin the ball wide and centre Victor Allen opens the scoring with a try. 7-0 after just minute’s play.

Meyer converted and goaled a penalty.

Each side then took turns to attack and neat handling by St Andrew’s produced a try for scrumhalf Guy Rushmere, cutting inside.

The bigger Bishops pack mauled over the line for a try credited to hooker Alex Castle.

Each side took turns to attack. Pick-‘n-drive got St Andrew’s into the Bishops 22. They then played wide with neat handling and scrumhalf Guy Rushmere stepped inside to score.

Justin Muller and Tim Sharples spearheaded a Bishops attack, and Bingo Ivanisevic was just short as he dived for the line. From an attacking line-out, Bishops battered at the St Andrew’s line and Matthew Klingberg got over for the try, and Bishops led 24-5.

Whatever was said in the St Andrew’s huddle at half-time worked for they then ran in three tries to the two of Bishops.

Bishops attacked first and were close to scoring but it was St Andrew’s who got the first score of the second half when fullback Ryan Ford came into the line for a try by left wing Matthew Royle, converted by Murray Wilson. 24-12.

Bishops stole a St Andrew’s line-out and drove the ball up field and aggressive fullback Ivanisevic was in for a try. 31-12.

Each side lost a player to the sin bin, and as the sinful pair walked off they shook hands to show no hard feelings.

Good handling by St Andrew’s produced a try for fullback Ford. Then Meyer got a try for Bishops and in the last minute of the match Ford was in for his second try.

These are certainly two teams willing to play the game as best it should be played.


For Bishops:
Tries: Victor Allen, Alex Castle, Matthew Klingberg, Bingo Ivanisevic, Jordan Meyer
Cons: Jordan Meyer 5
Pen: Jordan Meyer

For St Andrew’s:
Tries: Guy Rushmere, Matthew Royle, Ryan Ford 2
Con: Murray Wilson


Bishops: 15 Bingo Ivanisevic, 14 Michael Roche, 13 Harry Newman, 12 Victor Allen, 11 Alex Jankovich-Besan, 10 Jordan Meyer, 9 Jordan Meyer, 8 Isaiah Wharton, 7 Matthew Klingenberg, 6 Justin Muller (captain), 5 Tim Sharples, 4 Ano Mtombeni, 3 David Courie, 2 Alex Castle, 1 Oliver MacRobert

St Andrew’s: 15 Ryan Ford, 14 Ryan Thompson, 13 Anthony More, 12 Charles Fleming, 11 Matthew Royle, 10 Murray Wilson, 9 Guy Rushmere, 8 Miles Danckwerts, 7 Christian Roebert, 6 Alexander Menage (captain), 5 Matthew Hillary, 4 Brayden Barratt, 3 Bame Malesu, 2 Christopher Poole, 1 Basi Malesu

PV: 391

Bishops & St Andrew's Delight | Rugby365