Sat 27 Apr 2019 | 10:51

Selborne Too Strong for Brave Queen's

Selborne Too Strong for Brave Queen's
Sat 27 Apr 2019 | 10:51
Selborne Too Strong for Brave Queen's

Selborne College of East London and Queen’s College of Queenstown met under blue skies in East London in Saturday in an FNB Classic Clash which was broadcast live on SuperSport and great support from the packed stands

After 25 minutes in the match, Selborne led 31-0, and it looked as if they would win by a record score, topping even last year’s 76, but then Queen’s burly captain and loosehead, Conley Pieterse burst over for a try, which seemed to give the visitors an injection of confidence and determination. They then scored 12 more points to Selborne’s five in the rest of the match.

It was brave, but it was never going to be enough, as Selborne showed early that they were simply bigger and faster.

Despite Queen’s efforts, every now and again Selborne would sweep through with long-range tries, and the first of these came after just three minutes when fullback Sibusiso Javuy raced down the right touchline from well inside Selborne territory. He played inside to right wing Lawala Bata who raced off for the first of his hat-trick of tries. Flyhalf Warrick Day converted as he did when tall lock Cullen Opperman intercepted and sprinted some 25 metres straight to the posts. 14-0 after 6 minutes.

From an attacking scrum eighthman Rayden Masters picked up, handed off three would-be tacklers and scored in the left corner. 19-0.

Captain Mntungwa Mapantsela broke clean and long and sent Bata over for his second try, which Day converted and, after just 25 minutes, Selborne led 31-0, scoring at over a point-a-minute.

Two penalties gave Queen’s two attacking lineouts. They mauled the second, and Pieterse plunged over for a try, and the half-time score was 31-5.

Early in the second half, Queen’s were penalised in their own 22, and Selborne opted for a scrum. They went left-right-left-right a few times until Bata scored his third try. 36-5 after 41 minutes. Selborne did not score again in the next 29 minutes.

From a scrum on their own 10-metre line, Queen’s advanced rapidly with a speedy interplay and scrumhalf Aviwe Kanuka swept over for his team’s second try. This time flyhalf Sihalo Benge’s left boot converted. 36-12.

Selborne kicked off to their right, and Queen’s started running. Anda Buti kicked infield. Queen’s gathered and gave to outside centre Bamanye Mahela who raced many metres to escape the cross defence and was over for this try, the last score of the match with 12 minutes to go.

The match was played in a fine spirit.


For Selborne:
Tries: Lawula Bata 3, Cullen Opperman, Raiden Masters, Mntungwa Mapantsela
Cons: Warrick Day 3

For Queen’s:
Tries: Conley Pieterse, Aviwe Kanuka, Bamanye Mahela
Con: Sihlalo Benge


Queen’s College: 15 Asemahle Mafenyana, 14 Mandilakhle Sibeko, 16 Bamanye Mahela, 12 Terance Heidtmann,11 Anda Buti, 10 Sihalo Benge, 9 Aviwe Kanuka, 8 Euan de Jager, 7 Odwa Mkefa, 6 Junior Dumane, 5 Camgca Sondlo, 4 Lutho Twalo, 3 Ali Gqaza, 2 Liyema Mgwig-Wi,1 Conley Pieterse (captain)

Selborne College: 15 Sibusisio Javuy, 14 Lawala Bata, 13 Mmangaliso Maphunda, 12 Mntungwa Mapantsela (captain), 11 JP van Zyl, 10 Warrick Day, 9 Daimon O’Connell, 8 Rayden Masters, 7 Jarrod Taylor, 6 Joshua van Vreden, 5 Matthew Tonkin, 4 Cullen Opperman, 3 Chulumango Nkalashe, 2 Dyisa Dyan, 1 Luyiso Petene

Referee: Wayne Weyers (Border Referees’ Society)
Assistant referees: Danie Nel (Border Referees’ Society), Jeremy Knox (Border Referees’ Society)

PV: 185

Selborne Too Strong For Brave Queen's | Rugby365