Cape Town gets Test series boost
BREAKING NEWS: SA Rugby and the British & Irish Lions confirmed that an agreement had been reached to conclude the Test series in Cape Town.
The tour was scheduled to return to Gauteng, following the first Test in Cape Town on Saturday.
However, the decision to remain in Cape Town was made following extensive consultation with medical experts on the risks associated with the delta variant of COVID-19.
All three Test matches will now take place at the Cape Town Stadium, on successive Saturdays – July 24 and 31, and August 7.
“The data pointed in only one direction,” said Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby.
“The Series has already been significantly disrupted by COVID-19 and a return to Gauteng at this time would only increase the risks.
“We now have two teams in biosecure environments without any positive cases or anyone in isolation.
“To now return to the Highveld would expose the Series to renewed risk.
“Everyone wants to see the two squads, at their strongest, playing out an unforgettable Series over the next three weekends and this decision gives us the best opportunity to see that happen.”
(Continue below …)
Ben Calveley, MD for The British & Irish Lions, said: “We are fully supportive of this decision which we believe to be in the best interest of the Test Series.”
Roux thanked Gauteng and the City of Cape Town for their flexibility and understanding to accommodate the late change of plan.
“We have had great support from local government, and I’d like to thank both Gauteng and the City of Cape Town for their open-minded engagement in what has been a very challenging time,” said Roux.
“Extraordinary times have called for extraordinary measures and we have had support from all our commercial partners despite the challenges.”