Get Newsletter

Sharks will 'gladly accept' Kolisi

CURRIE CUP SPOTLIGHT: Siya Kolisi’s playing future has been under the spotlight ever since the Sharks’ partnership with MVM Holdings was officially unveiled.

ADVERTISEMENT

MVM Holdings, an international investment consortium spearheaded by Marco Masotti, entered into an agreement to purchase a 51 percent majority stake in the Sharks. The current shareholders, the KwaZulu-Natal Rugby Union and SuperSport International, will hold the remaining 49 percent of the franchise.

With millions of dollars set to flood into Durban, the franchise is set to be significantly strengthened over the next few years through player acquisitions and Kolisi’s name has popped up on numerous occasions

One of MVM Holdings’ partners is Vincent Mai, who has a very close relationship with Kolisi. The Springbok captain was the first recipient of the Vincent Mai Bursary Scheme, which allowed him to attend prestigious Grey High in Port Elizabeth.

Kolisi also has a management deal with Roc Nation Sports International. The company’s president, Michael Yormark, is also one of Masotti’s partners.

When asked if he is was keen on having Kolisi in Durban, head coach Sean Everitt responded: “Until those contracts land on our table, we can’t comment on that.

“At the end of the day any player of that calibre, regardless of who he is, will be someone who we will look at and welcome.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Everitt added: “There’s always space for players of that calibre. We got a large number of loose forwards here at the Sharks at the moment and if there is a need for Siya to come here then yes we will gladly accept him.”

With reports of buying stars, there might be some concerns from current Sharks players.

“Our CEO Eduard Coetzee addressed the squad with regards to that,” said Everitt. “All players will be concerned when there is new ownership taking over.

“Our players are all currently under contract and there is no need for them at this stage to feel insecure.”

ADVERTISEMENT

 

Join free

Beyond 80 | Episode 3

Japan Rugby League One | Bravelupus v Eagles | Full Match Replay

Big Jim Show | Guinness Six Nations | England v Scotland

Vancouver SVNS - Day 2 - Full Replay

Vancouver SVNS - Day 1 - Full Replay

Boks Office | Jesse Kriel reveals the hardest team he had to play at the Rugby World Cup

Big Jim Walks and Talks with Handré Pollard

WHISTLEBLOWERS

Write A Comment