England star slapped with a ban
DISCIPLINARY HEARING: Exeter and England prop Harry Williams was hit with a two-week ban on Thursday.
His ban follows after being shown a red card during a Premiership clash with Saracens.
Williams was part of an ugly brawl which broke out on the sideline during the 77th minute at Sandy Park.
He had earlier been substituted, following a head injury, but dashed from the technical area to join in the fracas – which was sparked after Duncan Taylor had clashed with Exeter scrumhalf Nic White.
Once tempers had calmed down and order had been restored, Williams was shown a red card by referee Wayne Barnes, who declared his behaviour “not acceptable”.
Williams appeared before a disciplinary panel on Thursday, where he accepted the charge which was “for acts contrary to good sportsmanship, contrary to World Rugby Law 9.27”.
Chairman Richard Whittam, the sole judicial officer, handed out a two-week ban, which will see Williams free to play again on January 14.
Williams will now miss the Premiership match at London Irish as well as the European Champions Cup fixture at Glasgow Warriors.
“The referee, who handled the situation in an exemplary manner, assessed his actions as exacerbating the situation,” Whittam said.
“Clearly it was behaviour against the spirit of good sportsmanship, contrary to World Rugby Law 9.27.”
Whittam said it was a ‘low-end’ entry point for ‘other’ behaviour in the sanction table in Annex 2 to Regulation 19.
He did not strike another player and no one was injured as a result of his actions.
He apologised to the referee immediately after the match and accepted the charge in advance of the hearing.
“In those circumstances, the four-week sanction was reduced to one of 2 weeks.”