Tue 5 Nov 2019 | 02:16

Sarries to fight 'draconian' sanction

Sarries to fight 'draconian' sanction
Tue 5 Nov 2019 | 02:16
Sarries to fight 'draconian' sanction
SHARE

REACTION: Saracens boss Nigel Wray has promised to fight the heavy-handed treatment handed down to his club.

The English and European champions, Saracens, were docked 35 points and fined over £5-million (US$6.5-million) for breaching the Premiership Rugby salary cap over several seasons.

Wray said they will appeal ‘all the findings’.

The club said it was “shocked and disappointed” by the “heavy-handed” sanctions.

“The Club is pleased the panel acknowledged it did not deliberately attempt to breach the salary cap and steadfastly maintains that player co-investments does not constitute salary under the regulations,” the club said in a statement.

“This view is supported by independent legal and professional experts.

“The Club will continue to vigorously defend this position especially as PRL precedent already exists whereby co-investments have not been deemed part of salary in the regulations.”

Saracens – who provided nine of the England squad including captain Owen Farrell that reached last Saturday’s World Cup Final – had been subject to a nine-month investigation.

Following a five-day hearing in September and October, an independent three-man panel, headed by a distinguished former judge, adjudicated that they had indeed contravened the salary cap which is set at £7-million a year.

Related articles

Sanction threatens Saracens status
Sarries face relegation?
Montpellier table massive deal for Bok

Nigel Wray

Saracens

Premiership statement

Premiership standings after Sarries sanction

PV: 3971


Sarries To Fight 'draconian' Sanction | Rugby365