Hong Kong Sevens to be postponed
NEWS: The Hong Kong Sevens is set to be postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.
According to the South China Morning Post the tournament, which was scheduled for April 3-5, will likely be moved back to October.
An official announcement from World Rugby is expected on Thursday.
The news comes after Hong Kong Rugby Union Chief Executive Robbie McRobbie last month said the event will go ahead on the planned date despite the city’s battle with the virus.
“There are no plans to cancel the Hong Kong Sevens,” McRobbie said at the time.
“We are in regular contact with World Rugby and are keeping them updated with the situation on the ground here. There have been no conversations about changing dates or venue.”
Other events that have already been cancelled because of the virus is the Hong Kong Marathon and the Masters of Hong Kong showjumping event.
Source: South China Morning Post & NZ Herald