Samoa's Langkilde charged over World Cup Sevens attack
UPDATE: Samoan rugby player Gordon Langkilde has been charged with assault following an off-the-field bust-up at the World Cup Sevens that left three Welsh players with injuries, police said Tuesday.
A statement from the San Francisco Police Department said Langkilde had been booked into county jail on felony charges of aggravated assault and battery causing serious bodily injury.
Langkilde was arrested after attacking two opponents in the tunnel at AT&T Park on Saturday after Samoa’s 19-24 defeat to Wales, the statement said.
Wales player Tom Williams suffered tournament-ending injuries in the attack, which Welsh players later described as unprovoked.
San Francisco police said a 21-year-old Welsh player had suffered broken facial bones. Reports in Britain said Williams was left with a broken nose and fractured cheekbone.
Another 26-year-old Welsh player sustained facial injuries along with a 24-year-old teammate, police said.
Police said Langkilde was arrested at his hotel on Sunday without incident.
“While an arrest has been made, this remains an active and ongoing investigation,” SFPD said in a statement.
Langkilde was thrown out of the tournament by World Rugby chiefs on Sunday following the tunnel brawl.
Wales player Luke Treharne told AFP on Sunday the team had been shocked by the incident.
“When it all comes out you’ll see all the details of it, but it’s pretty shocking stuff,” Treharne said, describing the bust-up as unprovoked.
“Nothing really sparked it or anything, just unprovoked. Nasty stuff to see,” he said.
— Rugby World Cup Sevens (@WorldRugby7s) July 24, 2018