Mon 7 Oct 2019 | 10:41

Waratahs CEO walks out

Waratahs CEO walks out
Mon 7 Oct 2019 | 10:41
Waratahs CEO walks out
SHARE

Just days after announcing fellow Kiwi Rob Penney as the new Waratahs coach, Andrew Hore has surprisingly resigned to take up the Super Rugby chief executive post with the Blues in Auckland.

In his capacity as the NSW rugby franchise’s CEO, Hore announced Penney as the new coach last week, giving no indication of his intended departure.

The NSW board was reportedly quizzed on his link to the vacant Blues post but reaffirmed Hore’s commitment with Monday’s announcement coming as a shock.

With Hore finishing up this week before joining the Blues in December, Chief Operating Officer Philip Van Schalkwyk has been named interim boss.

Hore has been at the helm of the Waratahs since 2016 with the club issuing a statement praising him for his contributions.

Among other achievements, Hore oversaw the organisation’s successful relocation to a new headquarters before securing funding for a AU$20 million Centre of Excellence.

On the field they have under-performed, only reaching the finals in 2018.

“Andrew has been at the forefront of significant progress for NSW Rugby and the Waratahs,” NSWRU chairman Roger Davis said.

“On behalf of the NSW Rugby Board, I’d like to congratulate Andrew on what he has achieved during his time here and wish him the very best with his future endeavours.”

Hore said it was “bittersweet” to be leaving as he felt the Waratahs had a bright future.

Having just appointed Penney to take over from former All Blacks centre Daryl Gibson, who resigned in June after missing the finals, the Waratahs are in a rebuilding phase.

A number of their veterans, including Wallabies Bernard Foley, Nick Phipps and Sekope Kepu, have taken up lucrative post-World Cup deals.

PV: 620


Waratahs Ceo Walks Out | Rugby365