Mon 20 Feb 2017 | 06:54

UJ break their 2017 duck

UJ break their 2017 duck
Mon 20 Feb 2017 | 06:54
UJ break their 2017 duck

The match was plagued with handling errors and it was the Boot of Divan Nel that kept UJ in the game. The flyhalf scored all his side's points with six successful penalties. Marthinus de Beer scored 12 of Tuks' points with four penalties of his own before the dramatic final play.

Tuks could have grabbed the lead in the second minute but Marthinus de Beer's penalty attempt hit the upright. They were made to rue that miss though as the home side took the lead in the seventh minute when Divan Nel slotted home his first penalty attempt to hand UJ a 3-0 lead.

The home side were reduced to 14 men in the 13th minute when Tshegofatso Ramaboea was sent to the bin and Tuks nearly took full advantage when they crossed UJ's tryline in the 15th minute. However, the try was ruled out after a player was in an offside position at scrum time.

The visitors managed to get themselves on the scoreboard on the stroke of the first strategy break when de Beer slotted his first penalty from right in front of the posts to level matters at 3-3. UJ were under all sorts of pressure and were once again reduced to 14 men when Willem Massyn was sent to the bin for a high tackle.

De Beer slotted the resulting penalty to hand Tuks a 6-3 lead after 25 minutes. UJ remained under pressure for the remainder of the half but Tuks failed to add any further points to their total. The home side went into the break the happier side though as they managed to level matters with the final kick of the half.

Nel slotting his second penalty of the match to ensure the sides were level at 6-6 at the half-time break.

UJ were the first to score in the second half when Nel slotted his third penalty after Tuks infringed at the breakdown inside their 22.

Tuks were reduced to 14 men in the 49th minute when Johan Fouche was given his marching orders for a dangerous clean out at the breakdown. UJ took advantage of the as Nel slammed home his fourth penalty of the night to stretch UJ's lead to 12- after 52 minutes.

De Beer then reduced Tuks' deficit to just three points when he slotted his third penalty just a minute later. It was then Nel's turn to slot another penalty in the 56th minute, only to have it wiped out in the 63rd minute by another de Beer penalty.

UJ held a slender 15-12 lead at this point before Nel added his sixth penalty of the match to stretch the home side's lead to 18-12.

UJ were then reduced to 14 men for the third time in the game when Wian Conradie was shown a yellow card for an infringement at the breakdown in the 75th minute. It was all Tuks from that point as they grabbed the only try of the match, leaving it up to the conversion to snatch victory.

Up stepped Joshua Stander but he failed with the conversion from in front of the posts.


For UJ:
Pens: Nel 6

For UP-Tuks:
Try: TBC
Pens: De Beer 4

Yellow cards: Tshegofatso Ramaboea (UJ, 13), Willem Massyn (UJ, 25), Johan Fouche (Tuks, 49), Wian Conradie (UJ, 75)


UJ: 15 Ewan Adams, 14 Peter-John Walters, 13 Aphiwe Dyanti, 12 Jaco Fourie, 11 Tshegofatso Ramaboea, 10 Divan Nel, 9 Johan Esterhuizen, 8 Willem Massyn, 7 Adrian Bester, 6 Wian Conradie, 5 Estian Enslin, 4 Reinhaard Nothnagel, 3 Nico du Plessis, 2 Johannes Snyman, 1 Waldo Wiedeman.
Replacements: 16 Le Roux Baard, 17 Kyle Kruger, 18 Chergin Fillies, 19 Jo-Hanco de Villiers, 20 Siyabonga Luwaca, 21 Devon Mare, 22 Dominic Kroezen, 23 Kevin du Randt.

UP-Tuks: 15 Divan Rossouw, 14 Dewald Naude, 13 Adrian Maebane, 12 Impi Visser, 11 Sibahle Maxwane, 10 Marthinus de Beer, 9 Theodorus Maree, 8 Clyde Davids, 7 Christiaan Massyn, 6 Eduan Lubbe, 5 Brian Leitch, 4 Aston Fortuin, 3 Johan Fouche, 2 Jan-Henning Campher, 1 Andrew Beerwinkel.
Replacements: 16 Theunis Reynolds, 17 Jacobus Holtzhausen, 18 Marius Verwey, 19 Juan Swanepoel, 20 Raegan Oranje, 21 Joshua Stander, 22 Immanuel Libbok, 23 Franco van den Berg.

Referee: Jaco Kotze
Assistant referees: Local
TMO: Johan Greeff

PV: 2
Uj Break Their 2017 Duck | Rugby365