Tue 28 Mar 2017 | 09:08

UWC, UFH ease their way to the final

UWC, UFH ease their way to the final
Tue 28 Mar 2017 | 09:08

UWC, UFH ease their way to the final


In the first play-off encounter, the high-flying UWC scored seven tries, to WSU's three despite having to play with 13 men in the first half.

In the other semi-final fixture, UFH cruise to a 45-8 win over UKZN-Impi. The Durban-based side scored five tries to book their first ever final.  

All the Semi-final action!

UWC 50-26 WSU

The hosts opened their account within three minutes of play thanks to hard work from prop Justin Theys, who scored at the back of a driving maul. Flyhalf Aidynn Cupido added the extras to give his side the 8-0 lead.

UWC's flying start got dampened with Dean van Tonder's yellow card in the 10th minute. The flank was sent to the sin bin for repeat infringements.

The extra man handed WSU a lifeline as they immediately levelled matters when Luzuko Mafu scored a converted try, 8-8.  

It got worst for the hosts, as they lost another man due to a yellow card, this time it was Andre Manuel who joined his teammate Van Tonder after a dangerous tackle.

WSU opted to kick for posts and Zizipho Kayi's successful penalty made sure his side take a narrow 10-8 lead.  

Minutes later, UWC hit back and took the lead thanks to speedster Kurt-Lee Arendse's try in the 28th minute. Cupido missed the conversion and the score remained 13-10.

Just before the halftime break, UWC were back to 15 men and scored a double.  First one came through Manuel, who returned to the pitch and was immediately involved in a well-worked move which saw him extend the lead to 21-10.

The other one came via Michaine Fick, who finished off another exciting move which Cupido converted with ease. The hosts went into the half-time break with a 28-10 lead and full of confidence.

In the second half scrumhalf, Hershel Jantjes got involved in the action as he registered his name in the score sheet. The scrumhalf set-up an amazing move and found himself in the right space for a well-deserved try.

However, WSU rung in the changes and were soon rewarded as Lubabalo Lento crossed the whitewash twice to trail 26-34 after 55 minutes of play.  

However, it was the hosts who ended on a high note as fullback Daniel Bock and wing Manual went over the chalk, respectively.  Cupido converted both tries to hand seal his side's victory.  

The Scorers

For UWC:
: Theys, Fick, Arendse, Jantjies, Bock, Manuel 2
Cons: Cupido 5

For WSU:
Mafu, Lento 2
Cons: Kayi 3
Pen: Kayi

Yellow Cards: Dean van Tonder (UWC, 10 – Repeat infringements), Andre Manuel (UWC, 13 – Dangerous tackle)

Referee: Ricus van der Hoven
Assistant referee: Local

15 Daniel Bock, 14 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 13 Michaine Fick, 12 Hendrick Carstens, 11 Andre Manuel, 10 Aidynn Cupido (captain), 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Adriaan Paarwater, 7 Shaine Orderson, 6 Dean van Tonder, 5 Curtley Thomas, 4 Brandon Valentyn, 3 Justin Theys, 2 Ralph Jansen, 1 Mzo Buthelezi.
Replacements: 16 Ismaeel Schroeder, 17 Nathan Cloete, 18 Bradley Jumaats, 19 Matthew Le Roux, 20 Alwyn Carstens, 21 Clayton Daniels, 22 Roderick Moses, 23 Keagan Fortune.

WSU: 15 Zizipho Kayi, 14 Khanyiso Roloma, 13 Ludwe Jack, 12 Luzuko Mafu, 11 Ntando Mfengu, 10 Sinegugu Lituka, 9 Minenhle Ngidi, 8 Chumani Mjacu, 7 Lubabalo Lento, 6 Mihlali Qoma, 5 Mihlali Mosi, 4 Athenkosi Khethani, 3 Sandile Buthelezi, 2 Siyamthanda Sineko, 1 Sinesipho Puzi.
Replacements: 16 Masixole Gubeni, 17 Nkosinathi Hulani, 18 Luyolo Fata, 19 Siphosihle Magawu, 20 Xolani Mbombo, 21 Lusanda Xakwana, 22 Khwezi Zinto, 23 Mihlali Nchukana.


In a match filled with revenge and settling old scores, the men from Alice showed their intent early on as their put in four tries in the first half.

Thulani Njenje, Athenkosi Makele, Qhama Masiza and Somila Jho all scored for their side while flyhalf Jeandre Christian added the extras to get them to a 37-0 lead at the break.

The second half was less solid as the home team reverted to a more tactical game, however, they always appeared to be more in control and before UKZN's defence could settle, Njenje sealed his first brace of the season for UFH.

Before the final whistle, UKZN managed to broke their duck as Paki Mosiesa went over the try-line to score consolation try for the visitors.

The Scorers
For UFH:
Njenje 2, Makeleni, Masiza, Jho
Cons: Christian 4

Con: Kotze

UFH: 15 Siphuxolo Zaula, 14 Zayne Farmers, 13 Somila Jho, 12 Xolela Daniels, 11 Wilfred Bowers, 10 Jeandre Christian, 9 Qhama Masiza, 8 Sibusiso Sityebi, 7 Zanoxolo Qwele (captain), 6 Thulani Njenje, 5 Athenkosi Makeleni, 4 Philisani Ncoko, 3 Lixhanti Tame, 2 Mkhonto Caku-caku, 1 Bulelani Mdodana.
Replacements: 16 Litha Magocoba, 17 Asiphe Fanele, 18 Siphosethu Tsotsa, 19 Leon Ndlovu, 20 Lindokuhle Kenene, 21 Luyolo Batshise, 22 Sibongile Novuka, 23 Sivuyile Mdishwa.

UKZN: 15 Fana Sibiya, 14 Brawin Julius, 13 Paki Moseisa, 12 Taigh Schoor, 11 Jefro Buthelezi, 10 Ruan Kotze, 9 Sibonakaliso Dubazane, 8 Jean-Pierre Stopforth, 7 Senzo Mabuza, 6 Sizwe Puza, 5 Mpumalanga Monareng, 4 Lourens Visagie, 3 Lindokuhle  Radebe, 2 Simba Mandioma, 1  Ntandoyenkosi Mpofana
Replacements: 16 Rameon Daniels, 17  Melusi Mthebela, 18 Clive Musasiwa, 19 Sikhulile Sokhela, 20 Nduduza Sithole, 21 Mnqobi Shange, 22 Lungelo Dlamini, 23 Solomon Masoek

Referee: Mpho Matsaung
Assistant referee: Local

PV: 2
Uwc, Ufh Ease Their Way To The Final | Rugby365