Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyPass Match Centre
Scores
Sorry there are no live games.
See what's coming up.
No games this week.
Full schedule >
Auckland AUC Manawatu MAN Sun
27 Sep
3:00am SAST
Taranaki TAR Otago OTA Sun
27 Sep
3:00am SAST
Counties COU Northland NOR Sun
27 Sep
5:15am SAST
Bay of Plenty BAY Auckland AUC Fri
2 Oct
8:00am SAST
Counties COU Manawatu MAN Sat
3 Oct
3:00am SAST
Northland NOR Taranaki TAR Sat
3 Oct
5:15am SAST
Canterbury CAN Wellington WEL Sat
3 Oct
8:00am SAST
Southland SOU Waikato WAI Sun
4 Oct
3:00am SAST
North Harbour HAR Tasman TAS Sun
4 Oct
3:00am SAST
Otago OTA Hawke's Bay HAW Sun
4 Oct
5:15am SAST
Manawatu MAN Canterbury CAN Fri
9 Oct
8:00am SAST
North Harbour HAR Hawke's Bay HAW Sat
10 Oct
3:00am SAST
Taranaki TAR Auckland AUC Sat
10 Oct
3:00am SAST
Wellington WEL Otago OTA Sat
10 Oct
5:15am SAST
Waikato WAI Counties COU Sat
10 Oct
8:00am SAST
Northland NOR Southland SOU Sun
11 Oct
2:10am SAST
Tasman TAS Bay of Plenty BAY Sun
11 Oct
2:10am SAST
Hawke's Bay HAW Northland NOR Fri
16 Oct
8:00am SAST
Wellington WEL North Harbour HAR Sat
17 Oct
3:00am SAST
Manawatu MAN Bay of Plenty BAY Sat
17 Oct
3:00am SAST
Auckland AUC Tasman TAS Sat
17 Oct
5:15am SAST
Southland SOU Taranaki TAR Sat
17 Oct
8:00am SAST
Canterbury CAN Waikato WAI Sun
18 Oct
2:10am SAST
Otago OTA Counties COU Sun
18 Oct
2:10am SAST
Otago OTA Northland NOR Fri
23 Oct
8:00am SAST
Bay of Plenty BAY Canterbury CAN Sat
24 Oct
3:00am SAST
Hawke's Bay HAW Manawatu MAN Sat
24 Oct
5:15am SAST
North Harbour HAR Auckland AUC Sat
24 Oct
8:00am SAST
Counties COU Wellington WEL Sun
25 Oct
3:00am SAST
Tasman TAS Southland SOU Sun
25 Oct
3:00am SAST
Waikato WAI Taranaki TAR Sun
25 Oct
5:15am SAST
Canterbury CAN Otago OTA Fri
30 Oct
8:00am SAST
Wellington WEL Tasman TAS Sat
31 Oct
3:00am SAST
Northland NOR North Harbour HAR Sat
31 Oct
5:15am SAST
Auckland AUC Waikato WAI Sat
31 Oct
8:00am SAST
Bay of Plenty BAY Hawke's Bay HAW Sun
1 Nov
3:00am SAST
Manawatu MAN Southland SOU Sun
1 Nov
3:00am SAST
Taranaki TAR Counties COU Sun
1 Nov
5:15am SAST
Southland SOU Otago OTA Fri
6 Nov
8:00am SAST
Auckland AUC Northland NOR Sat
7 Nov
3:00am SAST
North Harbour HAR Counties COU Sat
7 Nov
5:15am SAST
Tasman TAS Canterbury CAN Sat
7 Nov
8:00am SAST
Hawke's Bay HAW Wellington WEL Sun
8 Nov
3:00am SAST
Waikato WAI Bay of Plenty BAY Sun
8 Nov
3:00am SAST
Manawatu MAN Taranaki TAR Sun
8 Nov
5:15am SAST
Counties COU Southland SOU Fri
13 Nov
8:00am SAST
Northland NOR Waikato WAI Sat
14 Nov
3:00am SAST
Otago OTA Tasman TAS Sat
14 Nov
5:15am SAST
Wellington WEL Manawatu MAN Sat
14 Nov
8:00am SAST
Bay of Plenty BAY North Harbour HAR Sun
15 Nov
3:00am SAST
Taranaki TAR Hawke's Bay HAW Sun
15 Nov
3:00am SAST
Canterbury CAN Auckland AUC Sun
15 Nov
5:15am SAST
Wed 5 Aug 2020 | 03:46

Full private equity: 'It is a conversation SA unions must have'

Full private equity: 'It is a conversation SA unions must have'
Wed 5 Aug 2020 | 03:46
Full private equity: 'It is a conversation SA unions must have'
SHARE

Much has been said about the Western Province Rugby Union’s unwillingness to concede power in negotiations with American investor MVM Holdings, headed by leading South African lawyer Marco Masotti.

ADVERTISEMENT

Masotti first broached the subject when he said: “The sport of rugby is stressed and needs change to survive and then flourish.”

The WPRFU have their reasons – which may all be valid – for not wanting to relinquish control of the company (professional arm of the union).

However, it is not a view that is universally shared.

A quick glance at the six main franchises in South Africa shows the vast chasm in opinions and attitude on the subject.

The Lions and Bulls companies are the closest to ‘full equity’ status – both sitting at or near the maximum (allowed by SA Rugby) of 74.9 percent.

The Lions’ 74.9 percent (and control) rests in the hands of Altmann Allers (through his company Foxbell Investments). The Golden Lions Rugby Union has the other 25.1 percent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Allers is a strong advocator of a 100 percent equity model and we will get to his view soon.

The Blue Bulls’ private equity is shared between two partners – Patrice Motsepe (African Rainbow Capital) and Johann Rupert (Remgro), at 37 percent each. The Blue Bulls Rugby Union has the remaining 26 percent.

The Southern Kings were also sitting at the maximum when the oddly-named The Greatest Rugby Company in the Whole Wide World (Pty) Ltd (GRC) held control – before SA Rugby reclaimed the 74.9 percent because it became another big financial flop. The Eastern Province Rugby Football Union has the other 25.1 percent.

The Sharks still have control of the company, with equity partner SuperSport at 49.9 percent and the controlling 50.1 percent with the union.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Free State Rugby Union also have SuperSport as an equity partner, but only with 24.5 percent of the company (professional arm) and the union holding the other 75.5 percent.

The Western Province Rugby Football Union has all 100 percent of the company in its control and according to informed sources unwilling to give away a controlling share – not even for a cool US$6-million (ZAR99-million) from MVM Holdings.

The problem is the breakdown of the initial offer. Just US$2-million (about ZAR33-million) of the US$6-million price tag would be invested into the WPRFU, while the remaining US$4-million (ZAR66-million) would go into the balance sheet of the company.

This is in stark contrast to the Lions and Bulls, who willingly gave up control of the company to equity partners that invested gazillions of their own money into the franchises.

Allers is open about his view on full private equity.

(Continue reading below … )

Video Spacer

“We should not be scared of foreign investment,” he told @rugby365com, when asked about the differing approaches of the Lions and WPRFU.

“It shows there is interest in our product [rugby] and our industry,” he said of the attempts by companies like MVM Holdings to buy a controlling share in the Cape Town-based franchise.

The Lions Rugby Company Chairman, Allers, said funds will not be as readily available as before the COVID-19-enforced crisis and the market is going to become increasingly more competitive.

“There is no room for sentiment,” he said of any potential partners from outside the borders of South Africa, adding: “We need to get funding from wherever we can.”

He reiterated his previously stated feelings about private equity, saying that the professional side of any union or franchise should be run by a CEO that takes full responsibility for all ‘rugby matters’ – issues such as players, coaches, medical and support staff, as well as securing sponsorships and organise other income streams.

However, he feels the union (amateur arm) and company (professional entity) should support each other – even though they are two separate entities.

“At the Lions, the union and company personnel sit right next to each other in the same offices. They support and assist each other.

“On match day the amateurs work as hard as the people on the professional side of the company.”

While he admits that full private equity will not work at every union, he is adamant it is “a conversation we must have” in South Africa.

“If a company from the United States want to invest, they will obviously have their terms,” Allers told @rugby365.

“If you buy into a risky business, you want to have control,” he said, pointing to the great ‘working relationship’ between the company and the union at the Lions.

“If you come into a business with limited knowledge of the environment [franchise] and business, you may doubt if it is the right decision. That’s why control of and trust in those running the company [franchise] is important.”

Allers said the success of a soccer team like Manchester United and rugby club Saracens on the European and domestic stages had a lot to do with private equity.

“They [private investors] were central to developing those strong brands,” he said.

“New Zealand are now also talking about 100 percent privatisation and that is a clear indication where the rest of the world is moving to.

“It is about the ability to carry the franchise through tough times.

“Right now we are in some very tough times.”

He said the need for change is obvious.

“We can’t afford to go into 2021 with something that did not work before,” Allers said.

“We have to look at what we can do different.

“The Lions are in a similar position than the Bulls and Sharks. Everybody is very concerned about the future.”

Given the ongoing uncertainty about the future of the game, unions and franchises must be creative in their planning.

“I can’t speak about other unions, but at the Lions we try our damndest to limit the shortfall.

“Since the COVID-19-enforced lockdown, the income streams have dried up.”

He said broadcasters and sponsors have been very professional, accommodating and incredibly supportive while there was no product to put on television.

“That is why it is vital that we return to the field,” he said of plans to stage an eight-team Currie Cup competition from mid-September to late December.

“There is an eagerness to get back onto the field and put a quality product up for consumers.”

@king365ed
@rugby365com

Also worth reading …

WPRFU boss responds to ‘takeover bid’
‘Treasonous acts’ within WP Rugby
Lions have a new MD
Lions boss ‘open-minded’ about future
Greatest Company becomes Greatest Flop?
Politics ‘killing’ the Kings
Financial mismanagement clips Falcons’ wings

PV: 1848
ADVERTISEMENT
Full private equity: 'It is a conversation SA unions must have' - south africa | Rugby365